Friday, April 4, 2014

Ombre Flower Pot Gift

My wonderful mom celebrated her "25th" birthday again last month. (I'm not allowed to say how many times she's turned 25, now.)  She really is young at heart.  I'm lucky to have a mom that's able to keep up with our two toddlers.  For her birthday, I made her an Ombre Flower Pot stuffed with a few goodies.  


Mom's aren't tough to buy for since you can just get them something you like! (I'm sure most mom's would say a year worth of house cleaning, meal cooking or lots and lots of diamonds are always on their list). However, this year I decided I wanted to make her a handmade gift.  I started with painting the terra cotta flower pot. I used a tube of acrylic purple paint that I had on hand and just added some darker purple and black to darken and white to lighten.  


I wrapped some skewers in washi tape then used packing tape to tape the skewers to the back of seed packets.


I cut down a piece of floral foam then wrapped it in some dark tissue paper.  And used the lighter tissue paper to add some fluff around the edge of the flower pot.


I included a couple gardening tools because I haven't met a gardener yet who doesn't enjoy starting off the season with a new tool or two to dig around in the soil.

Recognize those pinwheels?  If not, I made those as I was making my Pinwheel Wreath!  Check it out!  


She seemed to really enjoy her gift and I had a lot of fun making it.  Win-Win!

Have you tried your hand at any sort of gift baskets or gift flower pots?  They're kinda fun!

Janice

Remember: Sharing is Caring! Feel Free to Pin this gift idea!


I linked it up to these awesome parties:


Fluster Buster
Upcycled Treasures
2 Crochet Hooks
Dream a Little Bigger

11 comments:

  1. Hey Sweet Friend!

    Your ombre pot would make wonderful teacher gifts too! I'm so excited to see your project on Show-Licious Craft & Recipe Party! Thanks for linking up with us!

    ~ Ashley

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Teacher Gift! What a great idea! My little ones aren't in school, yet so I would have never thought of that!

      Delete
  2. Suzanne of Simply Suzannes at Home

    Dear Janice, I love your ombre pot and the gardening themed items that you put inside. What a great gift for someone who loves the outdoors! Thinkin' I need to save this idea for my aunt!
    Thanks so much for sharing.
    Have a great weekend,
    Suzanne

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're too sweet, Suzanne! Thank you for stopping by and making me blush! If you make one for your aunt, I'd love to see a pic!

      Delete
  3. Thanks Janice, It's just to cute to use. It's bringing a bright spot to the living room, while waiting for Spring to truly arrive.

    Love Mom

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It does look nice where you have it! Glad you're enjoying it, mom!

      Delete
  4. Great paint job. This looks excellent. Thanks so much for linking it up to Snickerdoodle Sunday.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is a cute idea. My mom would love something like this for her birthday! I just found your blog on the Snickerdoodle Saturday blog hop and started following. I blog over on Handmade Life http://lydiashandmadelife.blogspot.com if you want to check us out. It looks like we have some similar interests. I loved your outdoor tic-tac-toe board too, by the way, so cute!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Lydia!! Thank you so much for stopping by and following! I'm looking forward to getting to know you and your blog better!

    ReplyDelete
  7. aww, that's so cute! i could totally see sticking some gift cards or something in there, too.

    ReplyDelete

If you have a question and your profile is attached to your email address, I'll send you an email! If not, check back here and I'll leave your response under your comment. Don't have a question? I'd love for you to say "hello", anyway! :)