Thursday, May 9, 2013

Queen Anne's Lace: Not Just a Weed?

Yard work, mowing, weeds, watering, growing grass, and little baby vegetable plants are consuming all of my time.  It feels so good to be outside but my fingers hurt from pulling so many weeds!

Speaking of which, did you know that you can buy Queen Anne's Lace?!  I love this... plant? flower? weed?  But only because of sentimental reasons.


Check out all of that Queen Anne's Lace in the background! It has since become "our flower".  Every time we see it, (which is often since it's everywhere) we point it out to each other or think about one another.  

Photo credit: Oh Joy Photography
After a quick informational search on the plant, I learned that it falls into a category of "beneficial weeds".  It's apparently super beneficial to tomato plants by boosting their production and it's great for lettuce by creating a microclimate of cooler, moister air.  So next time you see some Queen Anne's Lace pop up in your vegetable garden, consider leaving it!  Just one less weed that needs to be pulled!

How's your vegetable garden coming along?

Janice





No comments:

Post a Comment

If you have a question and your profile is attached to your email address, I'll send you an email! If not, check back here and I'll leave your response under your comment. Don't have a question? I'd love for you to say "hello", anyway! :)