Monday, May 13, 2013

Mother's Day

This Mother's Day was very unique for me.  It was my third official Mother's Day to our two beautiful children, it was my first as a mother to our son, and it was the first as a Godmother!  Our Godson was dedicated on Sunday.  What a special day.  I couldn't have been more proud.

It is not unusual for me to be emotional while I'm sitting through a church service.  So much of it reminds me deeply of my grandmother (Nani) who passed away almost 3 years ago.  Growing up, there were so many weekends where I would spend the night with them and they'd drag me to church with them.  I enjoyed spending time with my grandparents (especially the breakfast they'd treat me to afterwards) but I didn't truly cherish that time and the memories until more recently.

Something that almost always turns on the waterworks for me are some of the Holy Sacraments... Baptisms, Communion, Confirmation, Marriage.  It doesn't matter if I know the person or not, I almost always tear up.  It certainly wasn't different with my Godson.  I'm so glad I was able to tuck back behind a lot of family because I wasn't able to hold back all of my happy tears.  It fills my heart with such warmth from my Nani.

The memories I have with her and my grandfather (Papa) are priceless and although I may have dragged my feet and secretly despised having to go to Mass at the time (and wearing ridiculous outfits to make her happy, belts trimmed down from old ones that she used to wear, and having my hair styled in a lot of bizarre ways), I am so thankful they were able to instill the love of God into my life.  To this day, I'm not sure I "love" going to church... but I go because it's where I feel closest to her.

Talk about a bitter-sweet blog post!  Mothers (especially my amazing mom!), soon to be mothers, women who are trying desperately to become mothers, mothers who have lost a child, step-mothers, grandmothers, Godmothers, and anyone else who plays a "mothering role" to a child, I hold you in the highest regard.  Make memories with those little kiddos because I'm not entirely convinced "we" are the important ones on Mother's day;  It's the little gremlins that make the day worth while for me.

Happy Mother's Day to all and to all a good night.



No comments:

Post a Comment

If you have a question and your profile is attached to your email address, I'll send you an email! If not, check back here and I'll leave your response under your comment. Don't have a question? I'd love for you to say "hello", anyway! :)